Set in the Welland Valley country-side The Wheel & Compass is everything that a traditional country pub should be. The oldest part of the building (Poachers Bar) was built in the 18th Century and oozes character. The pub supports a number of local shoots and the Woodland Pytchley Hunt. The hunt can be seen from time to time using the pubs car park in the morning before it heads off for the days event.
The pub is now building a strong reputation for its selection of homemade and home cooked meals which are strongly in keeping with the country-side.
Traditional dishes and seasonal wild produce can be regularly seen either in the main menu or on the daily changing specials board.
Value for money and a real family atmosphere is an environment that has been created as the Key family look forward to welcoming all existing and new customers.
The Wheel & Compass was built in 1738 of mainly local stone and some brick work, consisting of ground and first floors only and more than likely originally had a thatch roof.
In approximately 1800 John Scott, probably became the first landlord of the Wheel and Compass. His father a wheelwright lived in the house before him, hence presumably the name Wheel & Compass, these being the tools of a wheelwright’s trade.
A small plaque that is fixed to the upright timber roof support in the bar, states that on the 27 April 1836 the roof was raised by the landlord Mr John Scott aged 51 years, thereby adding a second floor to the Wheel & Compass.This extra floor was an open dormitory and was added purely to house the foremen who were responsible for the railway track that was being laid close to the rear of the Wheel & Compass.
It is believed to be haunted by one of the work men murdered in a brawl over a card game.